The Bard Awards 2020
The Bard Awards 2020 is Rockhampton Regional Council's inaugural drama competition for students in grades 7-12.
Students can elect to present a monologue, duologue or group scene of their choice which will be performed at the Walter Reid Cultural Centre on either Friday 4 or Saturday 5 September 2020 (performance schedules will be emailed to applicants once entries have closed).
This is a great opportunity for students to either develop and perfect a performance piece from their school curriculum, or prepare a free-choice dramatic work with their teacher or extra-curricular speech and drama tutor.
Friends and family of participants will be able to attend the performance for a $5 entry fee.
The Bard Awards will be adjudicated by Tegan Divine, Principal/Owner of Devine Drama and Dance. Tegan has a wealth of experience in theatre. She holds a Graduate Certificate in Creative Industries, Bachelor of Performing Arts, Advanced Diploma of Film, Theatre & TV Acting and she is a NIDA Young Actors Studio Graduate and WARD Acting Studio Graduate. She has also trained and completed short courses with Zen Zen Zo, TAFTA, Laboite Theatre Company and Sydney Dance Company.
Prizes will be awarded in each category and adjudication notes given to each individual participant, duo or group.
All participants will have access to a series of free workshops in the areas of performance, voice and audition technique. This will take place on the weekend prior to the awards, Sunday 30 August.
To apply for The Bard Awards 2020, please have a parent/guardian complete an online application form (NB - each member of a duologue/group is required to submit a form). Applications close Friday 14 August 2020.
For further information, please call Sian Davis (Development and Programs Officer) on 4924 5608.
Rules, Regulations and Requirements:
* Performance duration is to be a maximum of 5 minutes for monologues/duologues and 15 minutes for group scenes.
* Each category (monologue, duologue or group scene) is divided into two age groups - Year 7-9 and Year 10-12, making 6 categories in total.
* Duologues/group scenes will be categorised into the age bracket of the oldest member of the group.
* A competitor may enter multiple times, but only once in each of the 6 categories.
* Repertoire selection is free choice - either a traditional or contemporary published work.
* The performance schedule will be determined by the number of entries. If there are any times that you CANNOT attend due to prior commitments on the 4th or 5th September, please detail in the application form.
* Draft performance schedules will be emailed during the week of 17 August. If a performer cannot attend their scheduled time, a request to change times must be submitted by email to email@example.com by 21 August 2020, otherwise the application will be forfeited.
* Performances are to be recited without a script or prompts (by 'memory').
* Dress code is theatre blacks with enclosed shoes - no costumes or school uniforms will be accepted.
* Technical specifications include an empty stage and basic white stage lighting - any other requirements should be specified in the application form.
* Annotated scripts including any music/sound effect cues must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 August 2020.
* Recorded music/sound effects must also be emailed to email@example.com or posted to Pilbeam Theatre, Rockhampton Regional Council, PO Box 1860, Rockhampton Qld 4700 as a labelled USB by 21 August 2020.
* Blocking/rehearsal and orientation time will be allocate to each group - this will give Applicants the opportunity for a dress run with technical specs and to get familiar with the stage and back stage areas.
* Prizes will be awarded for each category.
* Adjudication notes will be provided to each individual performer/duo or group.
* The adjudicator's decision is final and not representative of the views of Rockhampton Regional Council.
* Applications close at 5pm on Friday 14 August 2020.